Monday, January 09, 2012

Just Too Tired?




“I’m exhausted! I don’t think I can go any further.”


It might be at the State Fair, running a 5K, staying up all night at a Middle School sleep-over or shopping for Christmas when you utter those words. It’s pretty clear that wherever you are, you’re done. Fried. Tired beyond imagination. And, because of that… you quit. Physical exhaustion is pretty easy to understand. Most of us have been there.


Sometimes we’ve been emotionally exhausted too. Maybe through arguments with a loved one. Or trying to support a friend who just keeps asking for more from you. Have there been times when you feel like your emotional tank is hovering over “empty” and you just might be running on fumes? If you’ve ever had small children, you know there have been times when you’re both physically and emotionally drained. That’s when we want to avoid those who need us most and shut the door.


I’m so glad that’s not the way my God reacts.


His mercy is inexhaustible. Incapable of being depleted. A never-ending supply. You’ll never hear him say he’s tired. Yet, he has a world full of children asking for his attention. I’m worn out by a few, but when we come to him, he’s there. And he’s not running on empty.


One of the definitions of mercy says it’s an event to be grateful for, especially because it’s occurrence prevents something unpleasant or provides relief from suffering.


Too many times, I’ve been faced with the consequences of dumb or rebellious things I’ve done. Then, I ask and sometimes beg, and my inexhaustible God doesn’t shut the door and avoid me. He offers me what I need most - his loving mercy. And only with that can I go any further.


You are forgiving and good, O Lord,
abounding in love to all who call to you.
Hear my prayer, O LORD;
listen to my cry for mercy.
In the day of my trouble I will call to you,
for you will answer me.

Psalm 86:5-7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?